Monday, August 8, 2016

Origami Mommy

So, I'm a little unsure of how to break this to you but I'm a little odd. I know this because for most of my life it's been a little tough to fit in. Anyway, one of the quirky things that I do to relax my neurotic brain is to draw geometric patterns on graph paper and then color them in. Maybe that's not super weird, I'm not sure, but I feel a little embarrassed about it like I'm confessing that I have some sort of secret life.
Then, sometimes, I cut out those geometric patterns and fold them into pretty origami shapes. Lately, I've made some flapping birds for my boys and some butterflies to hang in the window. Yes folks, remember those snowflakes I put up back in January? Well I took them down last week and replaced them with butterflies. Impressive, I know. I'm so on top of things. I thought I would be brave and post some pictures of my little paper creations. Most of my stories are about my children, but I figured that the boys might want to have a record of the little things about me too. That way, their kids can appreciate how normal their dads are considering what Grandma was like. Here's a few pictures:
I think this would make a gorgeous patriotic quilt. It would be so easy to piece too. Right?

I normally am obsessive about color symmetry but I was feeling a little Mondrian that day.



The boys were excited about these colorful flapping birds.

Gabe is demonstrating the flapping wing action!



I like how the butterflies hang in the window. I used thread so from a distance they are just hovering in midair.

And here's the origami mommy herself. It's hard to post pictures of myself but it's nice to prove that I still exist in corporeal form every now and then.

6 comments:

  1. Your hair is so so long! Your boys are so so big! I miss you guys so much! I hope you're doing well. I love your art and those paper cranes are fantastic! Come back to Cleveland--we win sports championships now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A year makes such a difference in how the kids look! I've been dying to pick up quilting, and you just made me want to even more with that Patriotic pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this!!!!!!!' And you!!! Miss you guys tons! I like your crazy self, made me feel a little more normal�� Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, those would be amazing quilts, especially the first one.
    Your hair is so long and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, those would be amazing quilts, especially the first one.
    Your hair is so long and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete