Sunday, June 7, 2015

Merely Meersburg

Schloss Meersburg was the last official touristy place I visited in Germany. This place was seriously cool. Of all the places I went on my trip, I wish I could have shown the boys this place.
I mean, firstly, it was built in the 7th century. Secondly, it was built by a guy named Dagobert. Dagobert! I thought that was a name they made up for children's books.
This castle was legit. Back in the day, it had a working portcullis and everything. This is the giant pulley that they used to raise and lower it.
There were cool wall paintings, obviously not from the 7th century, but still pretty old and awesome.

This is the ancient dining hall. It was huge! Also, there were a lot of dead things hanging on the walls. That moose in the very back? I don't know what century he's from but he was looking pretty bad. Most really old things, even ruins, look really cool. Taxidermy on the other hand, does not improve with age.
I loved this castle well. It has Christ hanging over it because He is the living water. Pretty cool.
Other gothic religious imagery could be seen on the walls and in niches. So beautiful.

This place was built to last. The walls were three meters thick, thinning to two meters in the tower.
Speaking of the tower, the views from the top were just gorgeous.




Of course, the tower is not what the boys are interested in. They would probably love the scary torture instruments and the dungeon. Apparently, they would throw prisoners down there and sometimes they might forget to feed them. Silly medieval people.
The suits of armor and weaponry were mostly from the 15th century but still so awesome.


I have to admit it, I was geeking out over this castle. Meersburg, you rock... and not just because you are made of rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment