Thursday, August 3, 2017

Sweet

Tobias got hurt today. He fell off the monkey bars and now his wrist is hurting. It's either a sprain or a buckle fracture so we're just trying to keep it iced and immobile until Daddy comes home to take a look. David John wanted Tobias to feel better so he used the money the Tooth Fairy brought him, walked to the gas station and bought Tobias a special ice cream sandwich. It made my heart melt. Moments like these are so validating. Our kids are good people. They aren't always fighting even though it feels that way sometimes. They love each other.
David John's gift definitely lifted Tobias' spirits. I think it was more than just emotional help. I'm pretty sure that Tobias's blood delivers sugar instead of oxygen to all parts of his body. I think this because he says things like, "I need more sugar to get more power". He also, apparently, keeps an inventory of all sugar in the house at all times. He informed me of this the other day when I opened a cabinet to get something down and he said, "I know there are m&ms up there. There are jelly beans in Daddy's night stand. There's chocolate in the fridge. I know where all the candy is all the time because I look everywhere!" My final piece of evidence for Tobias having sugar-blood is the fact that at the park this spring he picked up a cupcake off of the ground, picked the wood chips out of the icing and was attempting to eat it when I got to him. I wasn't sure whether to feel proud or ashamed. I'm happy he's not fussy and that he can make the best of a situation. I'm ashamed that he would feel the need to eat that as if we aren't meeting his nutritional needs. The point is- Tobias needs sugar. Who knows? Maybe that ice cream sandwich will heal his wrist before Marc gets home. That would be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment