Friday, August 30, 2013

Odd Lots

I've noticed a lot of random things for sale in parking lots here. This happened in Baltimore too. Of course, in Baltimore, those things were usually being sold out of the back of someone's car and were undoubtedly stolen goods. I think we may have unwittingly purchased stolen party supplies in one of our more naive moments when we lived there. Here, the wares do not appear to be stolen but can be a bit unusual. You get the run-of-the mill items like cherries from Montana, or peaches from... somewhere. (Possibly a factory downtown?) But you also see things like Bonzai trees being sold out of a semi-truck in the parking lot of a music supply store. I'm still waiting for them to do a package deal like, "Buy a Bonzai and save 20% on all Bongos!" Anyway, the other day I was driving away from our "mall" and saw this amazing array of goods being sold in the parking lot:


I wish the lighting was better and that I had a better shot of the rooster but it was the best I could do with a van full of kids and not wanting to seem too interested in what they had to offer. It was a good thing that the kids were with me, because, to tell you the truth, I think if I had been alone I may now be the proud owner of a large bronzed something. I mean these things were cool looking. For one mad moment I truly believed that I NEEDED a large and majestic bison. He could live in our backyard and the boys could climb on him, or perhaps he could greet visitors in our entryway with his stylish, stately manner. Imagine the conversations that could be started! "That's a nice statue you have there." "Thank you, may I offer you some buffalo wings?" If only the balance of our Bronze Mammals budget wasn't currently at zero!
You know, I think if the statuary truck ever comes again, I might just buy something. I'm thinking the life-sized baby elephant. He would look great next to my new bonzai tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment