Thursday, August 29, 2013

New Kids on the Block

When we moved to Cleveland, no one noticed. I mean, the ward noticed and our neighborhood noticed but the city of Cleveland was like, "Meh, who cares?" Now that we've moved to a small town, everyone notices. It helps that Marc sees huge numbers of community members in his job everyday and that people here are so friendly. I meet people almost on a daily basis who also have some connection to Marc and I am slowly making ties in the community myself. In most ways, this is great. However, when you have children, sometimes a little anonymity is nice. For example, when my boys misbehaved in Cleveland in a store or at the park and others witnessed it, I could comfort myself by saying, "No big deal. I will probably never see those people again." Here? Not so much. Like the poor repairmen who fixed our garage door and then my boys followed them out of the house and accused them of stealing our ladders and tools? Yeah, we are totally going to see them again.
For the first few weeks I was quite paranoid about taking the boys out in public at all. I was afraid that people would notice Dr. Ricks' children misbehaving and start to doubt his qualifications as a pediatrician. I have relaxed a little bit as I've seen that most people are very understanding about active little boys and there are a lot of big families in the area. However, I still have moments with my guys that make me cringe. I guess I'm just hoping we didn't trade our anonymity for a little notoriety.

No comments:

Post a Comment