Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Bison Beauty

We took all of the youth in our ward to the Medora Musical last Wednesday night. We all had a blast and I brought Gabriel and David John along for the ride. During intermission, one of the leaders went to the gift shop and came back with this amazing bison hat. It was big, it was hairy, it had horns. I needed one. The boys agreed.
David John came with me to the tiny gift shop. We browsed for a bit before spotting the hats. During this browsing period, David John mused that he might like a magnet souvenir. So, we looked at the magnets. We discovered that one magnet cost six dollars. I said, "I'm not sure that I want to buy one magnet for six dollars." He loudly exclaimed, "Six dollars?!? That is SO overpriced!" Everyone in the gift shop froze. It was like a movie. Time stopped. Then one woman mumbled, "We were all thinking it," and people giggled and time resumed. So, we got our bison hat and checked out. For the rest of the performance David John, Gabriel and I took turns wearing it. At the end of the night, I struck up a conversation with one of the bishopric members who was there. He wondered what would happen if someone wore a hat like that to church on Sunday. I mean, could you really say anything? You wouldn't want to offend someone. I said you could totally get away with wearing a hat like this to church. So he dared me to wear it on Sunday. The youth all heard him. It was a matter of integrity. So I did it.

I came into church on Sunday with my head held extra high because that hat is tall. I went directly to that bishopric member and shook his hand. I did take the hat off during sacrament so that people behind me could see and so that I wouldn't be a distraction but when it was time for Sunday school and young women that hat was on my head. The Bishop approached me between classes and said, "I like your hat." "Well thank you! I like it too." "I was being sarcastic." "What?! You are hurting my feelings." He couldn't tell if I was serious or not. I said, "Didn't your counselor tell you that he dared me to wear this hat today?" The answer, of course, was no. The hat was a bigger hit in young women, especially when it was my turn to teach. I sat in front of the class and started with, "Instead of me sitting up here and yakking at you, I thought we'd have some small group discussion." Two of the girls lost it on the word "yakking". It was a completely unintended pun but it was still awesome. I haven't worn it since but I don't think this will be the last you will hear about that beauty of a bison hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment