Sunday, April 17, 2016

No Foolin' He's Five

That's right. Our little April Fool baby is now a big five-year-old. When I say big, I mean tall. This kid is one tall skinny guy at 85th percentile for height but only 25th for bmi. We had a birthday party for him with his preschool friends and several friends from the ward as well. Benjamin made these cute invitations to hand out to everyone.



We didn't get a lot of RSVPs right away so I was nervous that not many friends would come. Specifically, I was really hoping a certain little girl that Benjamin calls his "best friend" would be there. Luckily, I ran into her mother at pick-up time and she said that her daughter could come. In fact, her mother told me, this little girl said, "Benjamin is not my boyfriend because I'm not allowed to have a boyfriend but he is my very special friend." She drew this darling picture of the two of them. Note the blue and pink mohawks. My kind of girl.

We shouldn't have been worried about numbers because there were plenty of kiddos on the day of the party. Let's face it, even if no one else came our house would still be full of children. I didn't get pictures of the various activities, but we had everyone decorate bags, we watched some minion mini-movies, there was a minion Easter Egg hunt with little minion eggs hand drawn by me. I'm actually really upset that I don't have pictures of them. I made purple minions and yellow minions with blue bottoms. They were stinkin' adorable. Just take my word for it.
*Edited* I found some leftover minion eggs!


Anyway, there was also a pin-the-hat-on-the-minion game, a "bomb" stomping balloon game and a pinata. We did not go for the minion shaped pinata. I learned at the twins' party last year that it ends up being a little awkward beating up something cute so we just went with the standard burro pinata. We are thinking that Tobias will get a pinata when he turns five and then we will have a no pinata rule after that. Things just get a little too crazy with five boys plus guests, a very large stick or bat and a large quantity of candy at stake.



Of course we had cake and ice cream and Benjamin made a lot of funny faces.





Can you tell that I'm pretty proud of my decorating job? I know it's super easy for most moms but I am a cake disaster waiting to happen so for it to turn out this well was surprising.
When we sing "Happy Birthday" the kids always add there own little thing at the end. I'm not sure if it's unique to North Dakota or Dickinson or if it is universal, but the boys picked it up at school last year and it seems to be sticking. They sing "Cha cha cha, Oo la la, Cut the cake and say 'Hi-ya!' Hiiii-ya! Eat more chicken!" Yep, pretty special.
Each party guest got their decorated minion bag with candy, toy frogs, bouncy balls, minion fruit snacks, poppers, bananas and home-made minion bean bag.
Benjamin was showered with adorable and thoughtful gifts from his friends. I loved the hand-made cards from several of the little preschool girls. Speaking of little girls, Tobias had to say good-bye to his special friend who was moving away right after the party was over. I cried, my friend cried, the kids didn't cry but they felt a little sad. We will miss you guys!
Those friends happened to be the givers of the gift that has most captivated Benjamin. It is an R2-D2 bop-it. It is a game of quick reflexes and Benjamin has beaten it multiple times which is actually quite difficult. I still haven't beaten it. Of course, I don't practice several times a day. We are calling it his "splinter skill". I have mixed feelings about this game. It keeps Benjamin entertained for hours, but it also makes sounds. Annoying sounds. Loud sounds. Seizure-inducing sounds. Okay, maybe not the last one but the sounds do drive me crazy sometimes.

Benjamin has many skills at age five. He's learning to read and is getting really good at sounding out the words. We're getting close to the point at which he will earn his "reading shirt". A Ricks tradition. He is still really good at making up imaginary scenarios and giving life to inanimate objects. He's great at pushing people's buttons. He's meticulous with his writing and art except when he's not. He loves to blow bubbles and draw with chalk and swing on the backyard swing. He loves to be a helper and has become independent with cleaning his room this year. Woo-hoo! He's still a whiz at puzzles and he loves to play board games and card games. He's super excited to be going to kindergarten in the fall. It's hard to believe that he is old enough for that but it's no joke. He really is growing up. And he's turning out to be a pretty great kid. Love you, Jami.

No comments:

Post a Comment