Sunday, September 20, 2015

How Does Your Garden Grow?

This year our garden grew bigger and better than I thought possible. We've been harvesting lettuce, kale, beans, squashes, tomatoes, peppers, basil, oregano, cucumbers and cilantro all summer long.


Since it's my garden though, it has it's quirks. Firstly it is wild. Just wild. The tomatoes outgrew their cages, knocked them over and took over the sidewalk. The squashes took over the trellis and pulled it right off the wall.


We also, apparently, had some serious yellow squash. I mean, those guys had some superior genes. We planted yellow squash, green zucchini and white gourds. We got yellow squash, yellow zucchini and yellow gourds. I mean, yellow is my favorite color but c'mon.


We also have some lovely pumpkins turning orange out there right now along with something that defies classification. I'm pretty sure it is the world's first pumpkimelon. It started out looking like a babywatermelon. It is still perfectly round. It doesn't look like a pumpkin. But it is now orange and yellow striped instead of green and yellow striped.
I guess it's appropriate that a garden which is tended by five little boys grows mutant produce. Regardless, we love our garden. It has been a true joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment