Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Doozies from David John

David John has an adorable way of mispronouncing words and phrases. Sometimes he adds letters, sometimes he replaces sounds and sometimes he just gets it completely wrong in a totally endearing way. Here are some of his latest:
"Mom, I like smarshmallows." 
"Mom, these are great smashed potatoes."
"Dad, can I have a drink of that sprout?" (He meant Sprite.)
"Can I play a game on the lily pad?" (We recently got an ipad.)
"Mom, in Joy School we learned about being a glitter bug. A glitter bug is someone who puts trash on the ground. Don't be a glitter bug, Mom." This made me imagine a sequined VW beetle.

Speaking of Joy School, David John loves to sing along with the songs on the Joy School CD. This month the unit is "Joy of the Earth" and the songs are about plants and animals. One song tells what various animals do for people. If you listen to David John sing it, you may get very confused about agriculture. According to David John, hens give us legs, bees give us money, horses give us rice, and dogs give us wool. To be fair, some of the lyrics are hard to understand but it still makes for some interesting imagery.

This last David John quip is not a mispronunciation, but I can't help sharing it. At Joy School, David John made an obedience chart. Unfortunately for him, he had a rough week and wasn't getting a lot of stickers on his chart. Instead of improving his behavior to earn more stickers, he just decided to make a new chart. He proudly brought me a piece of paper that he had drawn boxes on and proclaimed, "Look Mom! I made a chart for each day I DON'T read a book. Well, I didn't read a book today so I get a sticker!" He was pretty impressed with himself but he was very disappointed that I didn't want to provide stickers for a chart of that nature. He keeps us on our toes but he sure does make us laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment